Learn to crochet the lace cluster stitch with this free & simple tutorial. This stitch gives a beautiful intricate texture to any project. I don’t know abut you but it definitely gives me beach, nautical vibes perhaps it’s the colour yarn I chose to make this sample in but either way theres no denying it creates a beautiful surface texture.
MATERIALS & TOOLS
- Yarn: I used Paintbox Simply Aran in the video, but this works with whatever yarn your project calls for.
- Hook: I used a 5mm but please use corresponding hook for your chosen yarn
- Darning Needle
- Written in UK terms
- This pattern gives you the basic principles for the lace cluster stitch, designed to help you create your own projects.
- Video tutorial can be found at the base of the post.
CROCHET TERMS and abbreviations
Chain (ch): Yarn over, pull through one loop on hook
Slip Stitch (ss): Insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull yarn through stitch and loop on hook
Treble Crochet (tc): Yarn over, insert hook into stitch or space, yarn over, draw up a loop (3 loops on hook), (yarn over, draw through 2 loops) twice.
Half Treble Cluster (htrc): *yarn over and insert hook, yarn over pull through* 4 times. Yarn over and pull through all loops on the hook, chain 1 to secure.
*…* repeat instructions
[ … ] in same stitch
Unsure of the differences between UK and US terms? Need a refresher on how to do your stitches? In my ‘How to crochet: A handy reference guide’ EBook I help you with all of these terms and you can always have them to hand! You will also get exclusive access to free video instructions. You can find my EBook HERE.
LACE CLUSTER stitch PATTERN
- Foundation chain: Chain in multiples of 6 plus 5.
- Row 1: tr, ch2, tr into the 4th ch from the hook. skip 2ch, *htrc, skip 2ch, [tr, ch2, tr] skip 2ch* repeat to the end. tr in last stitch.
- Row 2: ch3, *htrc into the ch2 space from previous row, [tr, ch2, tr] into top of htrc from previous row* repeat to the end. tr in last stitch.
- Row 3: ch 3, *[tr, ch2, tr] into top of htrc from previous row, htrc into the ch2 space from previous row* repeat to the end. tr in last stitch.
- Repeat row 2 & 3 until you reach your desired size.
PIN FOR LATER