Crochet your own market bag with this free Sundown Market Bag pattern, the perfect addition to your wardrobe. The bag comprises of basic crochet stitches, so it’s suitable for all skills levels, even advanced beginners who are looking to improve on your shaping skills. Assisting tutorials are also available at the base of this blog.
sundown market bag
I’m so happy to bring you the SUNDOWN MARKET BAG! This is my first market bag design and I LOVE it! I’m one of those people who carries around ‘everything but the kitchen sink’ so the fact that this bag can stretch to a substantial size as well as roll up small when it’s not being used is great! It’s super eco too, as a result of using this bag you’ll be cutting down on buying plastic carrier bags.
I actually crocheted a lot of this bag when we were off out on a day trip to ‘Sundown Adventure Land’ and therefore I chose to call it the Sundown Market Bag. It’s a nice little reminder of our day out!
MATERIALS and tools
- Yarn: Paintbox Cotton Aran, 100% Cotton, 50g (1.8oz), 85m (93yds), Blush Pink 654 (5 balls)
- Hook: 4.5mm (G)
- Darning Needle
You can purchase a low cost ad free, printable copy of this pattern HERE. Not only does it mean you get your own copy of the pattern to print, you also support a small business and help me to keep making free patterns!
- Written in UK terms
- Gauge = 5cm x 5cm = 7 stitches, 8 rows
crochet terms and abbreviations
- Chain(s): ch(s):Yarn over, pull through
- Slip Stitch(s): ss(s): Insert hook, yarn over pull through stitch and loop on hook
- Double Crochet(s): dc(s): Insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, you will have two loops on the hook. Yarn over and then pull through remaining two loops.
Unsure of the differences between UK and US terms? Need a refresher on how to do your stitches? In my ‘How to crochet: A handy reference guide’ EBook I help you with all of these terms and you can always have them to hand! You will also get exclusive access to free video instructions. Learn more about the eBook here.
PIN FOR LATER
sundown market bag PATTERN
- Foundation: Chain 31
- Row 1: Working into the spine of the chain dc in 2nd chain from hook and in each st across. 30 stitches.
- Row 2-6: Ch 1 (does not class as a st here and throughout), turn, dc in first st and in each st across.
- Row 7 (see images on page 6): Ch 6, turn, *dc in next st, ch 6; repeat from * to the end. Dc in last st.
- Row 8-52: Ch 6, turn, dc in first ch-6 sp, *ch 6, dc in next ch-6 sp; repeat from * to the last ch-6. Dc in last ch-6 sp.
- Row 53: Ch 1, turn. Dc in base of ch-1 and in each ch-6 sp to form 30 dc in total.
- Row 54-58: Ch 1, turn. Dc in first st and across.
Working the edges
- Rotate work so that you are working along the edge of Opening B of the main bag.
- Row 1a: Ch 1, dc around post of rows 54-58, *dc in ch-6 sp, dc around post of dc; repeat from * until you reach Opening A. Dc around the post of rows 1-6 of Opening A.
- Row 2a: Ch 1 and turn, dc in each st across.
- Tie off yarn and then sew in the ends.
- Attach yarn to Row 1 of Opening A on the opposite side of the bag.
- Rotate work so then you are working along the edge of the main bag.
- Row 1b: Ch 1, dc around post of rows 1-6 of main bag, *dc in ch-6 sp, dc around post of dc; repeat from * until you reach Opening B. Dc around posts of 54-58 Opening B.
- Row 2b: Ch 1 and turn, dc in each st across.
- Finally, tie off yarn and sew in ends
I wanted to say a huge thank you to my pattern testers for this bag! They certainly chose some gorgeous colours!
You will need 2 of these.
- Handle attachment (a)
- Leaving a long tail end of around 30 cm long, ch 7
- Row 1: Working into the spine of the ch, dc in 2nd ch from hook andin each st across.
- Row 2-8: Ch 1 and turn, dc in each st across. Do not tie off your yarn
- We will now start working in continuous rounds. No need to count rounds here.
2. Handle Cord: ss in first dc to form a circle. Dc in each st around until your tube reaches 66cm. Do not tie off your yarn.
3. Handle attachment (b)
- Row 1: Ch 1 and turn. Dc in next 6 sts.
- Row 2-8: Ch 1 and turn, dc in each st across.
- Tie off yarn leaving a long tail of around 30cm.
- Place handle attachment A on the outside of the bag over bag opening A (see diagram on page 5) and then sew on securely using back stitch.
- Then place handle attachment B on the outside of the bag over bag opening B (see diagram on page 5) and sew on securely using back stitch.
- Repeat for the other handle. Finally, sew in the ends.
You can find the assisting video tutorials in both right and left handed versions below.
If you love this market bag pattern why not make a matching crochet pouch perfect to fit your phone or sunglasses. CLICK HERE for the blog.