Are you looking for a beginner crochet baby blanket pattern that’s quick and easy to make? This gorgeous chunky cosy blanket not only looks great, but also can be made in as little as THREE HOURS! It is a great project for a crochet newbie and also for experienced crocheters looking for a quick, enjoyable make.
Table of contents
where do I find the pattern?
In this blog, you can find the free written pattern as well as right handed and left handed video tutorial to help you step by step. I’ll also take you through the pattern notes, what materials and also the tools you need.
terms & abbreviations
Chain (ch): Yarn over, then pull through one loop on hook.
Slip Stitch: (ss)
Half Treble Crochet(s): htr(s): Yarn over, insert into stitch, yarn over, then pull up a loop, as a result you will have three loops on the hook. Yarn over, then pull through all three loops.
Not sure what a Half Treble is? If you work in US terms, this is a Half Double. Check out this video below or alternatively take a look at this blog if you’re a complete beginner and have never tried this stitch before:
Unsure of the differences between UK and US terms? Need a refresher on how to do your stitches? In my ‘How to crochet: A handy reference guide’ EBook I help you with all of these terms and you can always have them to hand! You will also get exclusive access to free video instructions. You can find my EBook HERE.
pin for later
Want to save or print this pattern and view it without ads? The 8 page ad-free PDF pattern also contains an easy to follow chart PLUS 3 additional blanket layouts!
- Difficulty: Beginner
- Pattern is written in UK terms.
- Alternative pattern layouts can be found from page 5 onwards in the printable PDF pattern available here.
- Colour changes will be made on the last stitch of the previous row. Take a look at the video tutorial below for assistance or alternatively, download the PDF pattern where there are step by step pictorial instructions.
- Gauge: 9 sts x 5 rows (4 inch x 4 inch using Half Treble Crochet)
- Completed size: 25 inch (W) x 29 inch (H) approx
If you need any additional help with your stitches, you might want to check out my Absolute Beginners Series where will learn step-by-step the basic techniques you need to master to begin you on your crochet journey.
fast and easy baby blanket Pattern
- Using Colour A
- Chain 53 plus 2 for turning (turning ch does not count as a st)
- Row 1: Htr in 3rd ch from hook and then in each ch across. Then turn your work. [53 sts]
- Row 2: Ch 2 (Counts as a st here and throughout). Htr in next st and then each st across. Then turn. [53 sts]
- Row 3-12: Repeat row 2.
- Finally, tie off colour A and then join colour B with ss.
- From this point forward you will be repeating row 2 using the indicated colour.
- Row 13-15: Colour B.
- Row 16-17: Colour A.
- Row 18: Colour B.
- Row 19: Colour A.
- Row 20-21: Colour B.
- Row 22-24: Colour A.
- Row 25-36: Colour B.
- Finally, tie off the yarn and then sew in the ends.
You can find the video tutorials below available in both right and left handed versions to help you with making this fast and easy baby blanket. Don’t forget to hit the subscribe button if you love my tutorials and would like to discover more.
more blanket inspiration
Blankets are a lovely project for beginners to learn all of the different basic stitch as the repetitive nature of the rows is a fantastic way to learn to crochet. Looking for more blankets to get your hook into? Check out the suggestions below and get inspired!
By The Sea Blanket
This quick and easy blanket is
totally beginner friendly, with just
trebles, slip stitches and chains
making up this gorgeous block
stripe design. You can adapt this to any size you wish by increasing the number of chains and rows.
I love how dense the Moss
Stitch is and how it makes the
weight of this blanket feel really
beautiful resting over your lap.
The size I created is perfect for
a lap blanket or alternatively a cot blanket for
when the little ones get older.
Linked Hearts Blanket
This Linked Hearts blanket is a lovely baby project and introduces filet crochet into your crochet skill set if you haven’t tried it before with an assisting video tutorial to help.