Looking to make a quick and easy gift for someone special? This crochet sleep mask pattern makes a wonderful self care gift for a teacher, parent or maybe someone who is expecting a little one soon. This crochet sleep mask pattern makes a wonderful self care gift. I love how easy it is to make, especially the cross stitch detail and also how it feels to wear. The super soft yarn and the gentle weight feels lovely on the eyes whilst doing the job of keeping the light out.
All you will need to know is 3 stitches, chain, double crochet and double crochet 2 stitches together. If you’re not sure, check out these YouTube videos to help guide you:
You can purchase a low cost ad free, printable copy of this pattern HERE. Not only does it mean you get your own copy of the pattern to print, you also support a small business and help me to keep making free patterns!
Skill level: advanced beginner
Completed size: 23cm x 9cm
Gauge: 10 sts x 11 rows = 5cm over dc
This pattern is worked vertically to create the mask shape. Making up the heart design, make sure to use smaller sections of yarn to ensure the stitches look neat. Also, the chain one at the beginning on each row does not count as a stitch.
Materials & tools
- I used Bella Coco Perfect Cotton DK (50% Cotton, 50% Acrylic) 245m (268yds), 100g (3.5oz) in Light Pink (MC) and Dark Pink (CC), however this yarn is no longer available, so please select an alternative such as King Cole Cotton Soft.
- 3.75 mm Hook [US F/5]
- Ribbon approx 70cm long
- Tapestry and Sewing needle
Unsure of the differences between UK and US terms? Need a refresher on how to do your stitches? In my ‘How to crochet: A handy reference guide EBook I help you with all of these terms and you can always have them to hand! You will also get access to free video instructions. You can find my EBook HERE.
terms & Abbreviations
This pattern is written in UK terms
Chain(s): ch(s): Yarn over and then pull through
Double Crochet(s): dc(s): Insert hook into stitch, yarn over, pull up a loop, you will have two loops on the hook. Yarn over, then pull through remaining two loops.
Double Crochet 2 stitches together (dc2tog): Insert hook into stitch, yo pull through stitch 2 loops on the hook, insert hook into next stitch, yarn over pull through stitch, 3 loops on the hook and finally yarn over and pull through 3 loops.
pin for later
Crochet Sleep mask Pattern
Eye Mask (Row 1-46 plus Border to be worked in MC for the front panel, and in CC for the back panel)
- Chain 5.
- Row 1: Dc in 2nd ch from hook and across, then turn. <4 sts>
- Row 2: Ch1 (does not class as a st here or throughout) 2 dc in first stitch. Dc in next 2 sts, 2dc in last st and then turn. <6 sts>
- Row 3: Ch1, 2 dc in first stitch. Dc in next 4 sts, 2 dc in last st. Turn. <8 sts>
- Row 4: Ch1, 2 dc in first stitch. Dc in next 6 sts, 2 dc in last st. Turn. <10 sts>
- Row 5: Ch1, 2dc in first stitch. Dc in next 8 sts, 2dc in last st. Turn. <12 sts>
- Row 6: Ch1, dc across to the last st. 2 dc in last st. Turn. <13 sts>
- Row 7: Ch1, 2 dc in first st. dc across to end, and then Turn. <14 sts>
- Row 8: Ch1, 2 dc in first stitch. Dc in next 12 sts, 2 dc in last st. Turn. <16 sts>
- Row 9-17: Ch1, dc across and then turn your work.
- Row 18: Ch1, 14 dc. dc2tog. Turn. <15 sts>
- Row 19: Ch1, dc2tog, dc across to last st. Turn. <14 sts>
- Row 20: Ch1, 12 dc. dc2tog. Turn. <13 sts>
- Row 21: Ch1, dc2tog, dc across to last st. Turn. <12 sts>
- Row 22-26: Ch1, dc across, Turn.
- Row 27: Ch1, 2 dc in first st, 11 dc. Turn. <13 sts>
- Row 28: Ch 1, 12 dc, 2 dc in last st. Turn. <14 sts>
- Row 29: Ch 1, 2 dc in first st, 13 dc. Turn. <15 sts>
- Row 30: Ch 1, 14 dc, 2 dc in last st. Turn. <16 sts>
- Row 31- 39: Ch 1, dc across and then turn.
- Row 40: Ch 1, dc2tog, 12 dc, dc2tog. Turn. <14 sts>
- Row 41: Ch 1, dc2tog, 12 dc. Turn. <13 sts>
- Row 42: Ch 1, 11 dc, dc2tog. Turn. <12 sts>
- Row 43: Ch 1, dc2tog, 8 dc, dc2tog. Turn. <10 sts>
- Row 44: Ch 1, dc2tog, 6 dc, dc2tog. Turn. <8 sts>
- Row 45: Ch 1, dc2tog, 4 dc, dc2tog. Turn. <6 sts>
- Row 46: Ch 1, dc2tog, 2 dc, dc2tog. Turn. <4 sts>
- Finally, do not fasten off as you’ll need the same yarn to continue with the border.
Using same colour, Ch 1 and then dc evenly around the edge of the mask working into the stitches. Finally, fasten off the yarn and then weave in ends.
Next, we need to add that gorgeous heart design onto the front of the mask. Using the chart below, cross stitch hearts onto the front panel only using CC, but bare in mind each dc represents a square.
- Step 1: Bring yarn from back to front of the work through hole 1.
- Step 2: Insert yarn from front to back through hole 2.
- Step 3: Bring yarn from back to front of work through hole 3.
- Step 4: Finally, insert the yarn from front to back through hole 4 to complete the cross.
Next, we need to add the ribbon ties so we can wear the mask! Using around 35cm of ribbon for each side, sew ribbon on the wrong side of the outside edge of the back panel.
With right sides facing out, dc through both pieces using CC and only work in front panel when working around the ribbon.
Here are some videos to assist you when you are making the eye mask. If you’re new to reading a pattern, I recommend following the written pattern while you watch and listen to get used to the terms used. Below I have included left and right handed videos to help.
Loved making the sleep mask? Why not try some more crochet projects and make a self care hamper! Some face scrubbies, a wash cloth and a hair scrunchie would make great gifts alongside your sleep mask. You can check out the other patterns in our blog posts linked below: